Monday, March 31, 2008

A busy Easter holiday

I have had such a busy week, I don't know where time went! I had very little time - or energy - to knit, so I can't show any FOs. :( The first part of Project Spectrum is on his last day and I still have a ton of projects to finish. I'm of course eager to start the new colours and new projects, but I will try to finish some Fire projects first.

The Easter weekend we went to Germany with the dogs, and this is how we spent our time :


Germany 01

Ok, maybe not really, maybe it was more like this :



Germany 02

We went walking both days, morning and evening. It was tiring, but I felt quite ok. My hips hurt like hell by the end of the second day as I'm not used to walking, and surely not in the mountains. Well, hills, sorry. But it does give you quite some energy and the fresh air did us all some good!

The dogs were off the leash most of the time, hence the first picture. Letting Esna off is no problem at all, but Aife was a bit of a guess. The first evening - we arrived late Friday night as the weather of course had to turn horrible that evening, for the first time we had snow this Winter and it had to be the evening we were leaving for Germany! - we lost her in the dark woods. Stupid thing to let her off the leash, it's all so new and exciting for her! She returned after about 10 minutes, but I should have known it was a forebode!

On Sunday we were walking up a mountain through some cut woods, going towards a small open space in between the trees. The dogs were quite a bit ahead of us but that was usually the case when there was open space in front. All at once I saw something running (I first thought it was a rabbit, but it was quite big for a rabbit!) and of course our dogs went chasing it. Esna stopped quite soon, but Aife dissapeared in the woods, chasing a deer!!! I panicked. And well, for good reasons. We kept shouting for 20 minutes before she finally returned. By then I was in tears and totally upset, thinking I had lost her. At dog school they learn us that when you keep talking/shouting to a dog they have no reason to return to see you as they can hear you. But I was to scared to stop shouting, thinking she would wander off and we would loose her. I think the shouting was the reason she was away for so long, but at least she returned! Later on the walk another deer crossed out path right in front of us, and she was going to chase her again. But I yelled "Stop" so hard and quick she just stopped. Me thinks she's learning she can't go off like that. It's all so new to her.

All in all it was a nice time for us all, though we were all exhausted by the time we returned on Monday morning.

There was some knitting in Germany, but not much. Most was done in the car, but evidence of that later! I spent the last week teaching a horse riding camp at the riding school and I was exhausted every day. And here is some proof one should not knit when so exhausted, not even something as simple as a sock!



Misknitted sock - part 1


See the problem? I know it's a lousy picture and a black sock, but just look at the heel and the toe. See it now? One would think this is my first sock. Well, it's not, and it's not my first toe-up either. But I did manage to knit the heel the wrong way! And I didn't even notice when putting the sock on a couple of times to fit it! I only noticed yesterday when trying to flatten it!

These socks are supposed to become the embroidered knee highs for the PS3 Fire. I knitted the foot on 2mm and then changed to 2,5mm for the leg (I like the fabric of 2mm for the foot - better wear - but I want the leg to go faster so I'm using 2,5mm for those). I'm doing them toe up for no good reason, I should have done them the regular way, top down, as I can shape my leg just as well that way. But hey, live and learn. The idea was to generate a general way of knitting so I can create more of these, first for PS, then for other socks. I was going to take good notes so I could reproduce easily.

Anyway, I don't like the toes of toe-up socks, I prefer a round toe. So this morning I arrived at work and had some spare time, so this is what I did :



Misknitted sock - part 2


I picked up the stitches right under the toe. I wasn't planning on ripping the whole sock, so this seemed the best solution. I unravelled the sock from the top, but after a while, and breaking the yarn twice, I decided to just cut the whole toe off and throw the yarn away. It's not like I don't have enough sock yarn.



Misknitted sock - part 3



Sock ready to get a new toe, a regular round toe top down! :D And tada :


Misknitted sock - part 4


A perfect round toe! Me likes this way better!

Now the sock is far from perfect, but these are experimental in many ways so it's ok. The problem is that the sock is way to wide around the ankle. I should have knit a bit more before changing needles. 68 stitches on 2mm needles is perfect for my foot (I think I could even do with 64 depending on how stressed I am) but it's to wide on 2,5mm needles for my ankle. I'll see if the embroidery pulls it in. Need to knit the second sock similer (though I might do it top down, nobody will notice that), but from then on I'm knitting top down.

I should find a good recipy to knit my socks toe up because I often want to knit till I run out of yarn. I've tried doing the round toe toe-up and it's possible, even very similar to the top-down version. But you have to figure out your numbers better before knitting, as it's not like you can increase till you are at the right number. Maybe I should take some time to sit down and knit a pair of socks with a notebook. But preferable with more energy!

So, soon there should be a pair of socks to show (this is only the first sock, but it should go faster from here). I still need to embroider the fingerless mitts and I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish the gloves any time soon. I want to do it to complete my project. I have some DK weight wool dyed up in fire colours so I might use that instead of sock weight yarn (the original idea) as I don't see myself knitting up a pair of gloves in sockweight yarn, plus all the stuff I want to do for the next round of PS3!

Now I really need to get some work done!

2 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

Boy, whatever socks you do they come out beautiful! Love the dog photos...and the trees..do you happen to know the type of tree those are? I once had a lab that would never let off leash because she would run....

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just found your blog! love your scarf.

i have 2 weimaraners too. i recognized those grey ends sticking out of the bushes!!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home