Monday, February 04, 2008

Project Spectrum

I participated last year in project Spectrum, or at least I wanted to participate but didn't get as much done as I wanted. So trying again this year, with big plans. We'll see how far I get.

Lolly has come with the brilliant idea to make Project Spectrum all about the elements this year.


Project Spectrum 2008 - Elements

I joined the ATC swap she is hosting. I haven't done much paper/collage stuff the last few months (years?) but I miss it and keep planning to get started again. I'm sure I'll make it one day. So more about that when I get my ass in gear! :D

Then I was thinking what I would do about the knitting this year. Last year I tried designing a pair of socks - fair isle - for every batch of colours. Though I got them all planned I only managed to knit one pair of socks, or well, finish (though I'm doubting now, I should have done something with purple as well and I don't remember?). I hope to still finish the other socks one day, but I don't know when. There are faults in every one of them and I don't know if I really want to finish them.

Anyway, this year. I was thinking it over, maybe fair isle design this year would be nice as well. But then I got this idea that's a bit different. I'm planning on giving it a try! :D

The plan is to knit a pair of knee highs for every element. I will most likely knit them black, though they might be white as well. For sure the first pair will be black. Then I will embroider according to the elements on them, a bit in the idea of the famous vogue socks (in my someday queue to make, but as I say, someday!). The problem? I don't know how to do embroidered socks, or anything at all! So it's quite a challenge here!

As my thoughts went to not knowing how to embroider the idea grew to try embroidery on something else first. I have been wanting to do it for ages (on felted hats and bags) but never got around to it. So, something small that wouldn't take to much time to knit. Well, fingerless mitts! I girl can never have enough of those, right? Quick knit, small thing and a try-out for embroidering.

Then my thoughts went on, and well, what about a pair of embroidered socks and mitts every element? And maybe a pair of gloves to wair with the fingerless mitts? I will have a lot of bike time in my future and even during Summer the mornings can be quite cold out here!

So that's the plan. A pair of stockings in black or white with embroidery. A pair of mitts (black) with embroidery. A pair of gloves (in the colours of the element, preferable variegated).

Now first I thought about dyeing the yarn for the gloves, but over the weekend I started putting some yarn in Ravelry. The outcome was very scary. I started with the sock yarn, and got about 1/3 in there. It's a total of more then 56000 yards! That's quite a bit if you ask me. And knowing my sock yarn is about 1/4th of my total yarn stash, and then there's still the fiber stash, I'm quite depressed right now (don't worry, this passes quite soon! :D).

Anyway, there is some sock yarn in my stash that'll do for the gloves, or even heavier yarn (DK weight or so). So no new yarn to dye or buy. And there's plenty of black and white sock yarn. Only the embroidery thread I'll have to buy.

Whish me luck! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home