Thursday, December 01, 2005

A bit of knitting


Ok, sorry, again, I didn't update in a while, did I? Well, busy, I guess. Tired most of the time, and often being away from the computer. I don't have the energy to sit down here to long. Hopefully it'll get better again. I do need a brake. A brake from knitting, well, better said : knitting for others. I'm constantly knitting for others and getting no thank you or gratitude at all. It's so tiring.

My mom asked me to knit her a laice cardigan (a long one, if anyone knows any free or downloadable patterns, let me know!). She thought it would be cheaper then buying one at the store. Not really counting that I'm a yarn snob. But I found some super yarn at a really nice price (at my fave LYS!). Now the problem is my mom has never been supportive towards my crafts. Somehow, being crafty herself, she doesn't seem to understand the things I like to do. Her fave mainly is flower arranging right now (and she's great at it, really!!), she used to do jewelry. She's sews. She used to knit but thinks it's a waste of time now (??). When I started penpalling she found it a true waste of time. When I started my collage art she just couldn't understand why I spend so much money on this stuff (though she and my sisters were always in my room to get crafty stuff for school projects etc., I think she misses that now, realizing how much my material was worth!). When I started knitting she really thought I was nuts.

Anyway, I knitted this scarf for a girl at her job (my moms job, she works at a mental institute) I was so proud and could hardly part with it, look (be honest, please!!) :



It's a 80% angora 20% wool blend which I handpainted in mainly olive colours. The stitch pattern is really nice and it was a rather quick knit. Well, when my mom saw it she hardly looked at it and said "oh, fine, looks nice", totally uninterested. Pfff ...

So it's kinda hard to get motivated. I'm slowly moving forward on the cardigan for my grandfather but most of it is plain boring stockinette and I already had to rip a couple of times. I guess it's because of the boring-ness of the whole thing. I swear, I'm not doing big projects for Christmas ever again.

I have so many Christmas gifts and orders that I can hardly concentrate. I miss knitting for myself. Unless some others (I'm reading the Yarn Harlots second book right now! :D) I like the finished objects and as I seem to be the only one who appreciates them I prefer to knit for myself. But I do like the process as well. Anyway, here's a list of the projects I need to do (those with an * behind them are Christmas gifts) :

  • Cardigan for grandfather *
  • Cardigan for mother (* - partly, I'll give it to her as she has so little money for things like clothes)
  • Felted booties for aunt * (asked for them over a year ago)
  • scarf for grandmother * (so she won't be jealous, she's extremely jealous!)
  • scarf for sister
  • lace scarf for owner of favourite LYS
  • Felted hat for owner favourite LYS
  • White fingerless gloves knitted on 1.5mm needles (still waiting for the needles) (paid order, no real time limit)

Then I also urgently need to put a huge package together for my SP who I've neglected so badly! Will be done over the weekend for sure!

Here are a few things I just finished :


Pattern : Mosaik socks for the SixSocksKAL

Yarn : Regia 4Ply (Black), leftover Handpainted Sock Yarn (HelloYarn)

Needles : 2.5mm addi turbos

Finished them in little over a week, knitted only on the train and during breaks at work. Loved the pattern (really quick one too!!!) and the socks are super!!

By the way, the new pattern for the KAL looks neat too! Not before Xmas though ... .


Pattern : Susans free top down pattern

Yarn : Handpainted (handspun? no label) yarn from Neauveau

Needles : 6mm circs (I think ... don't even remember! *grin*)

Knitted in about 2 days, lovely to wear, fits perfectly! Going to knit more real soon!!!

So that's it for now, I think I'm back to my knitting, I'll try to update more over the weekend.

Ps.: We had some huge snowfal over the weekend, to bad it all dissapeared. But it's pretty cold and this might just be a hard Winter. One can only hope! :D

3 Comments:

Blogger blueadt said...

I adore the mosaic socks - where did you find the pattern?

Re your mum - if it were me I wouldn't bother especially lace (urgh). I'm not being horrible but if she's that negative I wouldn't be able to knit it.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh - mothers - they have the ability to make you really wild! But you love them too! What is that? Do some stuff for you inbetween Em - makes knitting for others so much nicer when you have something nice too! :)

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Reebecca,

today I am going to send you my last small package and reveal myself. You shouls get it by friday I hope :)

Till then happy knitting :)

Eva

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home