Friday, June 20, 2008

Knitting socks, and more socks!

Last year I joined the 52 Pair Plunge, but I got discouraged half way through and didn't pay much attention to it. Thanks to some last minute Christmas knitting I managed to get about halfway. I had put myself some limitation that made it hard for me to get to the total amount.

This time I decided to join again, but be less strickt. I'm allowing myself to knit a few pairs of baby socks, and I know there'll be quite a few sport weight socks, maybe even thicker. I might not get to 52 pairs, but I hope to knit more then the last round.

Anyway, as I'm in the mood to knit socks these days I decided to get a bit ahead if possible. So here are the socks I already knit :




My creation

More information about each pair at Flickr. As you can see, 2 DK weight pairs, one sports weight pair and a baby pair. I still think I'm not cheating! :D
I have some regular socks on the needles, like the Herring socks (Ravelry link). They were started at the end of the previous theme of Project spectrum, but I never made it far. Though I'm usually a big fan of colourwork I somehow do not enjoy knitting these socks. I think it might be the yarn which feels quite weird. But I have to get used to it as there's plenty more in my stash! :D
I'm also resisting the temptation to start more socks. I might start a pair of No Purl Monkeys (again Ravelry link), and I'm working on some more baby socks in the Monkey pattern, just as a way of experimenting.
So yes, it's mostly socks around here! Though I also would love to start a few new projects that are no socks, or even finish up some WIPs (again, no socks). But as the mood for sock knitting is here I'm just going to keep going for a while, till I'm bored! :D

4 Comments:

Blogger Hanne-Maria Leppäranta said...

I've also knitted some sport weight socks for plunge. And anklets. As long as they are knitted during the plunge, I count them.

Traditional Finnish socks are all aran weight, so I'm saving them for last weeks...

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I just happened upon your blog today, and I am astonished to read of your plan to knit 52 pairs of socks in one year. WOW! That is very impressive! I am fairly new to sock knitting, so maybe I don't have the speedy techniques yet, but the toddler socks I just completed took me an entire week to do--and that was with me working on no other projects, even. Good luck reaching your goal of 52--I hope you make it!

8:49 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Wow you are busy. I love all your projects and how many you get completed in a little time-frame! Here is hoping your 'time needed' provides more answers than questions. Just remember you deserve the best of anything and sometimes the leap is more healthy than staying back or whatever your decisions you need to make! ...and glad you do share them here on your blog because that can be half the battle and we get to support you!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! 52 pairs of socks! I'm afraid I couldn't be that quick... And of course there are other things I like to do as well and only so little time... *sigh* Anyway, your socks are great, really!
Hope you are feeling better these days!? Thinking of you...
Hugs, Lisa

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home