Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Socks!!

I have been knitting, though not as much as I would want to. But I seem to have a quiet period ahead. Not really wanted to though. My horse had a weird couch last week and it didn't get any better, so after advise from my riding instructor he's on stable-rest for this week in the hopes it'll solve the problem. I don't want to call the vet for a simple cold (he has no fever by the way, so it's possible it's just a plain cold), though my medical book on horses sais a couch almost never dissapears without medical intervention.



Anyway, even if I go riding over the weekend it'll be slow. We'll see. Lot's of knitting time, though I need to clean a big deal as well. Unfortunately my cat got home last night ill and she wasn't looking any better this morning I'll take her to the vet tonight. That'll cut into my knitting time.

I have been concentrating on socks as it's Socktober, but I have to knit some other things as well. :S We'll see.

Anyway, the socks. At the last day of September I finished my Spiral socks :


Spiral socks 01



(Sorry for the lousy pictures but it has been overcast since Monday so this is the best I could get)



Pattern : Cornucopia Socks by Caroline Dlugy-Hegwer from SockPixie
Yarn : Cherry Tree Hill Sock yarn in Wildberries
Needles : 2mm addi turbo
Started : August 2007
Finished : September 30 2007

Modifications : the pattern sais to keep the eyelets going in the round on the foot after the heel, but I didn't like the idea of so much structure on the bottom of my feet, so I only did the eyelets on the top of the foot. They look great!

I was excited about this pattern, but I got bored quite quickly. I have to say I was a bit dissapointed about the yarn as well. It feels a bit strange and I had to get used to it. I'm sure this will be great socks to wear though!


Next up, my first Socktober pair :


Black & Red 01

Pattern : my own
Yarn : Textiles de la Marque - Laine Chaussette, one ball black and one ball I handdyed red
Needles : 2mm addi turbo
Started : July 2007
Finished : October 2007

I had a ton of ideas for these socks, ment for Project Spectrum. But I had to little yarn to do the actual fair isle patterns I had in mind. So I kept looking and got this idea while in Portugal. I started the sock on the plane back home but didn't get past the ribbing of the first sock. I picked them back up on October 1st 2007, doubting the pattern again. but I went along and got it done! They took me a week to knit and I'm actually happy with them, though I have more sock yarn left over then I planned. I was really scared of running out of yarn! :D


Black & Red close up

(close up of the toe)

I would like doing this pattern again but then knee highs with the change of colour half way up the leg. Maybe in sport weight yarn. I don't know. Not any time soon though as I have plenty of socks in mind.

I wanted to start a ton of socks for myself, but I dug up 2 pairs that are just past the ribbing of the second sock. I did give in to the urge to start a new sock by starting a pair in 6ply tweed for the boyfriend. I'm doing the Whitby socks by Nancy Bush, with with 8 stitches added (boyfriend has huge ankles and they didn't go past them in the original size!). These are actually a Christmas gift but he already had to try them on twice so he'll just get them when they are finished. It doesn't really matter that much.

So many ideas, so little time to knit! :D

Next up : plans for more Winter knits!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Hi emily,
just a comment to say you posted your September?October socks on Sock a Month 3, not Sock a Month 4!

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to visit from SAM for 2 reasons - The first is to say I LOVE your black and red socks - a beautifully designed pattern!!
2nd is to let you know that you posted them in the SAM3 site not the SAM4, so you may want to repost in the current KAL so you will get credit for October!
and again - GORGEOUS socks!!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some georgous socks!

1:32 AM  
Blogger yarnahoy said...

That is a fantastic pattern!
The colors go so well together :)

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home