Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Spinning

You might not believe me, but I have been knitting and spinning! There just isn't much to show, and due to being very busy with work I neglected to post here.

I have one FO that I can't photograph (I'll try tomorrow at my LYS) and there's one almost FO (a baby sweater that needs seaming and a collar, to be done tonight I think).

Now I have been spinning as well and the last yarn I finished I was very pleased with :


Lantern Festival 3

It's the July yarn from the Hello Yarn fiberclub, Lantern Festival.

Corriedale wool, 5oz. spun into a 2ply. It's about 650 yards total, so I think a nice fingering weight!

Lantern Festival



I recently spun the Spunky Eclectic yarn very randomly (it was similarly coloured) and I wanted to try something different here. So I spil the roving lenghtwise as evenly as I could and spun the singles like that. While plying I kept a close eye on the colours and when the difference was to big I cut out strands. To my amazement I had to do this only twice, and I don't know if it was because of inconsistent spinning or rather the splitting of the roving. I added those 2 lenghts at the end which gives of course barberpole. But apart from that I have a few nice solid places.



I normally don't go through this efford to keep the colour nicely even. I like barberpole effects on yarn. But this yarn is so bright. Now I did see an example of randomly spun Lantern Festival and the colours seem to tone down quite a bit. Oh well, I like it this way as well! :D





Lantern Festival 2

I normally spin with sock yarn in mind. It's an obsession, just like socks are. Now this yarn, not sure about socks. I mean, with the long colour repeats and not really any pattern. So I have been thinking about a scarf, or a shawl like this one, or maybe Argosy. Any other ideas? Of course the yarn is fine and I don't have much yardage-wise for a shawl. I'm not really sure about this yet.

That's it for now, back to the knitting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home