Sunday, June 03, 2007

Dissapointing experience

I wasn't sure weather I would share this or not, but here I go.


Back in January - if I remember correctly - I volunteered to test knit a pair of socks for a magazine (I'll keep it a bit vague, no pointing fingers). I didn't expect anything for it, I just liked the idea of test knitting.


I was promissed a few things : getting the socks back, some yarn and a copy of the magazine. My interpretation was everyone would get this stuff.


I got the yarn and did my best to knit the socks in time, and I did. I think I did a pretty good job, with my limited possibilities (I will never say I'm an expert or perfect knitter). I do think I did a good job and they looked really nice. I thought they would turn out ok in the pictures too.


I got an email from the lady who runs the magazine that she got the socks nicely and she said they were fine. But that was it. Afterwards I didn't get any emails from her. And I didn't get any of the promissed things either. No socks back, no yarn and no copy of the magazine.


It's really confusing me as I don't know what to do. I mean, I did this without wanting anything in return, but then I got promissed these things and you somehow count on it all. The biggest issue is that I never heard anything back from her, that it's like my test-knitting wasn't ok. I am hugely dissapointed and I don't even know if my sock made it to the magazine.

I like doing the test knitting, I really do. But this way it just isn't fun.

My question : what should I do now? Should I just leave it at this? I just don't think it's fair to promiss stuff and then don't keep that promiss. Not to me and not to anyone.

I usually don't get asked to test knit, don't know why. I have signed up in several test knitting pools, but then many people do that. Oh well, I'll live with it. I'll just knit for myself. I'm just always looking for some kind of confirmation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Strange story, I would write a mail to say:
I'm disappointed and I want my socks back!
Sorry, ga even in het Nederlands verder:
Heb je nog oude mailtjes bewaard waar in staat dat je ze terug zou krijgen?
Want dat is echt wel het minste wat ze kunnen doen!
En dan hoef je niet te "bedelen" om de andere dingen.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Legally there probably isn't a lot you can do, though I'd e-mail back and complain. And you might want to tell everyone the name of the magazine to keep the rest of us from getting ripped off too, if we were to volunteer to do it.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Minty Fresh said...

My honest response is that the lady probably forgot about it, thought she already did it, or lost your email/mailing address. Why not just send her a friend email to remind her who you are, what sock you knit, and what your address is. You can say something like this "Dear ____, I still have recieved the _name of pattern_ sock that I test knit, the yarn, and the issue of the magazine! Has it been sent out? I am really looking foward to wearing the socks and browsing through the magazine! Thanks again for the opportunity to test knit! yada yada". Give her the benefit of the doubt. Good luck!

12:13 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

I agree..I would try emailing (perhaps with the orginal email attached to prove what your saying)
Good luck!

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home